There are two necessary steps in obtaining your private pilot's license:


  1.  Ground school in preparation for the written test.  For this step, we recommend that you use a home study course.  There are several companies offering kits that include an online course that you can work through at your own pace, along with books and materials you'll need during training.  A Bighorn Airways instructor will be happy to help you choose

2. Flight training for the practical test.  This is the fun part and where Bighorn Airways comes in. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires that you receive at least 40 hours of training in preparation for this test.  The 40 hours are broken down into several different requirements.

Private Pilot Aeronautical (Flight) Experience Requirements

40 hours of flight time that include:

20 hours of dual instruction

10 hours of solo flight training

3 hours of cross-country dual

3 hours of night dual

The unrestricted license includes:

1 cross country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance

10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport

3 hours of instrument dual

3 hours of dual in preparation for the practical test within 2 calendar months

10 hours of solo including:

5 hours of cross-country

1 150 NM solo cross country flight, with full-stop landings at three points and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 NM between takeoff and landing locations

3 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operational control tower.

Basic Pricing:

Intro to Flight

Introductory flights include a period of ground instruction, and aircraft familiarization, followed by a hands-on flight where you will fly the airplane with our instructor. 


Aircraft Rental Rates 


Per hour (wet)

Flight Instruction

$30.00 per hour

Ground Instruction

$25.00 per hour

Frequently asked questions

What aircraft will I use to obtain my 40 hours of flight time?

Bighorn Airways uses a Cessna 172 for flight training.

What forms of ID are required?

Due to requirements set forth by the TSA is imperative for anyone wanting to begin flight training to submit proof of citizenship.  The following is a list of things you need to submit before you begin flight training.

Proof of Citizenship with one of the following:

1. Valid unexpired U.S. Passport

2. Government-issued birth certificate & a government-issued photo ID

3. Original certificate of birth abroad with raised seal and a government-issued photo ID

4. Original certificate of U.S. citizenship with raised seal of Certificate of Repatriation and government-issued photo ID

Whom should I contact for more information?

 Kristopher Austin



Lynn Ramsey


Contact the Customer Service Representative of Bighorn Airways at (307) 672-3421.